Saturday, August 30, 2014

Why 72nd St.?

This blog is my escape. My place to unleash the pain and the glory of my life. When I was 18 my mom was getting better and I had little to no direction in my life. Everything felt chaotic and the dreams that I had for so long were being rewritten. My best friend at the time was Amber and I spent more time hanging out with her and trying to figure myself out. I made many bad decisions, but compared to some sowing their wild oats I was pretty tame. We used to go to a country /western club on ladies night and sometimes after hours of dancing and flirting with cowboy wannabes we would drive down to the beach. We had a special place that we would sometimes go to during the day, but more often found ourselves there at night. It was 72nd St. There were only houses down that way. Locals in their expensive (to us anyways) houses with a public beach mostly to themselves. This is why we chose it. It was private and far from the strip where all the tourists and local barhops were. Two, three, four in the morning we would find ourselves there and we would go for a swim. I never recall being scared of a shark getting us while we were out there in the dark, I just remember the coolness of the water on a summer evening and the soft blue glow of the water when you moved it with your hands. I knew they were tiny bioluminescent beings and I was fascinated by them. Unconsciously I think I picked them and my time on 72nd St as a metaphor for my life. Those were happy times. Peaceful times. Those tiny phytoplankton were what I wanted to be. In the darkness of the night, floating in the cool water, shining brightest when disturbed, pushed or stressed. The shining of the moon and the silent blue glowing shimmer of those creatures. I cherish those memories because of the beauty of the light in the dark. It became an example that the darkness didn't always have to be so scary and imposing because in it sometimes we find something beautiful and see something that few others ever get to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment